On October 31, popular snacks and treats manufacturer Tastykake issued a voluntary recall of its cupcakes because of the potential presence of metal fragments. After a few days, the recall list expanded to nine different products from across eight states.
Read on to find which products were recalled and whether it affects you.
The First Tastykake Recall
Flowers Foods Inc., Tastykake’s parent company, issued the first recall on Halloween. A vendor informed the company of a possibility some cupcake ingredients were contaminated because of the small pieces of metal wire mesh.
Immediately after receiving this information, Flowers Foods, Inc. initiated a voluntary recall of three kinds of Tastykake cupcakes: chocolate, cream-filled, and buttercreme iced cream-filled chocolate. The packages contained six two-packs of cupcakes and were shipped to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and Washington, DC. Major retailers such as Target, Publix, Walmart, and Giant Eagle pulled these products off their shelves in response.
The Second Tastykake Recall
On Thursday, November 4, 2021, the FDA issued an amended announcement and expanded the recall. Flowers Foods Inc. ended up recalling not only cupcakes but also Tastykake Krimpets because of the same concerns.
Tastykake Krimpets were shipped to the same eight states as the cupcakes.
Flowers Foods Inc. states customers haven’t reported any illnesses or injuries regarding this matter. Here’s a list of all recalled products:
- Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets (sold in packages and individually) with these dates: Nov 24 and Dec 01.
- Tastykake 3ct Butterscotch Krimpets with these dates: Nov 27, Dec 01, Dec 08.
- Tastykake Chocolate Cupcakes with these “Enjoy by” dates: Dec 14, Dec 18, Dec 21.
- Tastykake Buttercreme Iced Creme Filled Chocolate Cupcakes (sold in packages and individually) with these dates: Dec 14, Dec 18, and Dec 25 for packages, Dec 18 for individual packs.
- Tastykake Jelly Krimpets with these dates: Nov 22, Nov 25, Nov 29.
- Tastykake 3ct Jelly Krimpets with this date: Nov 25.
- Tastykake Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes with these “Enjoy by” dates: Dec 14, Dec 18, Dec 21.
- Tastykake Creme Filled Krimpets with these “Enjoy by” dates: Nov 20, Nov 24, Nov 27.
- Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets (Club Pack) with these dates: Nov 24, Dec 01.
What Can You Do if You Purchased One or More of the Recalled Products?
The FDA advises against consuming these products due to the potential safety hazard. If you’ve purchased them, the first option would be to discard them. The second option is to take them to the place of purchase and ask for a full refund.
Check Whether You’ve Purchased These Products
Many people enjoy Tastykake Cupcakes and Krimpets and were disappointed to learn about the recall. But mistakes happen, and the company acted right away and warned its customers about the potential contamination.
If you have any questions regarding the recall, reach out to Flowers Foods Inc. Consumer Relations Center at 1-866-245-8921. The center is open on weekdays, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. You can also contact the company via email.