If you’re looking to put on size, strong chest muscles should be your top priority. Chiseled chest combined with strong, broad shoulders can do wonders for your figure and help you improve your shoulder-to-waist ratio. There are many chest exercises (at least 84, according to Bodybuilding.com exercise database), some more effective than the others.
In this article, we’ll be going over the best chest exercises and how to execute them flawlessly.
1. Barbell Bench Press
The bench press has been one of the best chest exercises since the beginning of bodybuilding, and for a good reason – the importance of multi-joint compound movements can’t be overstated. Here’s how to execute the bench press:
- Grip the bar outside shoulder-width, arching your back as much as you can so you get some space between the bench and your lower back.
- Push the bar all the way up, then lower it slowly to your lower chest, with your elbows forming a 45° angle with your sides.
- Let the bar lightly touch your body, then press it back up, pushing your feet towards the floor.
2. Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
Research shows that changing the bench angle activates different portions of the chest muscle. Here’s how you execute this exercise:
- Set the bench to 30°- 45° angle and lie back on it with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Push the dumbbells to lockout at the top.
- Lower the dumbbells slowly until they reach about chest level.
- Contract your chest and push the dumbbells back up.
This exercise is perfect to do at home, and some studies show that push-ups give you similar gains to bench press.
- Get into pushup position with your hands under your shoulders.
- Lower your body, keeping your elbows near your torso and your body straight, and bring yourself down.
- Press your body back up.
So, that’s our list of the best chest exercises. While your chest routine shouldn’t be just these exercises, no chest workout is complete without them. Incorporate them into your workouts and get ready to see the results.